The Unbiased Post Logo
Sunday 22/02/2026

Sudan's Humanitarian Crisis Deepens Amid El-Fasher Siege

Published 13 August 2025

Highlights

  1. Rewritten Article

    Headline: Sudan's Humanitarian Crisis Deepens Amid El-Fasher Siege

    The humanitarian crisis in Sudan has reached alarming levels as the city of el-Fasher remains under siege by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF). The ongoing conflict between the RSF and the Sudanese army has left civilians in dire straits, with food shortages and a cholera outbreak compounding their suffering.

    Food Shortages and Starvation

    In el-Fasher, located in the western Darfur region, food scarcity has driven prices to unprecedented heights. Residents report that money which once sufficed for a week's meals now barely covers a day's worth. "Our children are dying before our eyes," a local woman told the BBC, highlighting the desperation faced by families. International aid organizations have condemned the use of starvation as a weapon of war, a tactic that has worsened the plight of civilians trapped in the city.

    Cholera Outbreak and Health Crisis

    The humanitarian situation is further exacerbated by a cholera outbreak sweeping through the camps of those displaced by the fighting. The RSF's intensified blockade, following their loss of control over Khartoum earlier this year, has restricted access to essential supplies, including medical aid. The UN has called for a humanitarian pause to facilitate the delivery of aid, but negotiations with the RSF have yet to yield results.

    International Response and Appeals

    The UN's Sudan envoy, Sheldon Yett, has reiterated demands for both warring sides to adhere to international law and allow aid convoys into besieged areas. While the Sudanese army has granted clearance for aid trucks, the RSF remains unresponsive. RSF advisers have suggested that safe routes for civilians to leave el-Fasher are being established, but these claims remain unverified.

    A Broader Humanitarian Crisis

    The conflict, which erupted in April 2023, has displaced millions and is considered one of the world's largest humanitarian crises. Reports of atrocities, such as the attack on the Zamzam refugee camp in North Darfur, underscore the severity of the situation. The Guardian's Mark Townsend has documented these events, revealing the scale of the violence and its impact on civilians.

  2. Scenario Analysis

    The ongoing siege of el-Fasher and the broader conflict in Sudan present significant challenges for international aid organizations and diplomatic efforts. Should the RSF continue to resist calls for a humanitarian pause, the situation could deteriorate further, leading to increased civilian casualties and displacement. Experts warn that without a concerted international response, the humanitarian crisis in Sudan may become even more severe. The international community's ability to broker a ceasefire and facilitate aid delivery will be crucial in alleviating the suffering of those caught in the conflict.

The humanitarian crisis in Sudan has reached alarming levels as the city of el-Fasher remains under siege by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF). The ongoing conflict between the RSF and the Sudanese army has left civilians in dire straits, with food shortages and a cholera outbreak compounding their suffering.

Food Shortages and Starvation

In el-Fasher, located in the western Darfur region, food scarcity has driven prices to unprecedented heights. Residents report that money which once sufficed for a week's meals now barely covers a day's worth. "Our children are dying before our eyes," a local woman told the BBC, highlighting the desperation faced by families. International aid organizations have condemned the use of starvation as a weapon of war, a tactic that has worsened the plight of civilians trapped in the city.

Cholera Outbreak and Health Crisis

The humanitarian situation is further exacerbated by a cholera outbreak sweeping through the camps of those displaced by the fighting. The RSF's intensified blockade, following their loss of control over Khartoum earlier this year, has restricted access to essential supplies, including medical aid. The UN has called for a humanitarian pause to facilitate the delivery of aid, but negotiations with the RSF have yet to yield results.

International Response and Appeals

The UN's Sudan envoy, Sheldon Yett, has reiterated demands for both warring sides to adhere to international law and allow aid convoys into besieged areas. While the Sudanese army has granted clearance for aid trucks, the RSF remains unresponsive. RSF advisers have suggested that safe routes for civilians to leave el-Fasher are being established, but these claims remain unverified.

A Broader Humanitarian Crisis

The conflict, which erupted in April 2023, has displaced millions and is considered one of the world's largest humanitarian crises. Reports of atrocities, such as the attack on the Zamzam refugee camp in North Darfur, underscore the severity of the situation. The Guardian's Mark Townsend has documented these events, revealing the scale of the violence and its impact on civilians.

What this might mean

The ongoing siege of el-Fasher and the broader conflict in Sudan present significant challenges for international aid organizations and diplomatic efforts. Should the RSF continue to resist calls for a humanitarian pause, the situation could deteriorate further, leading to increased civilian casualties and displacement. Experts warn that without a concerted international response, the humanitarian crisis in Sudan may become even more severe. The international community's ability to broker a ceasefire and facilitate aid delivery will be crucial in alleviating the suffering of those caught in the conflict.

Sudan's Humanitarian Crisis Deepens Amid El-Fasher Siege

Emaciated families and health workers in el-Fasher, Sudan
Maya SinghMaya Singh

In This Article

HIGHLIGHTS

  • The Sudanese city of el-Fasher is facing severe food shortages due to a prolonged siege by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF).
  • International aid organizations have condemned the use of starvation as a weapon of war in the ongoing Sudan conflict.
  • A recent surge in cholera cases has exacerbated the humanitarian crisis in the Darfur region.
  • The UN has called for a humanitarian pause to allow aid into besieged areas, but negotiations with the RSF remain stalled.
  • The conflict, which began in April 2023, has resulted in one of the world's largest humanitarian crises, displacing millions.

The humanitarian crisis in Sudan has reached alarming levels as the city of el-Fasher remains under siege by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF). The ongoing conflict between the RSF and the Sudanese army has left civilians in dire straits, with food shortages and a cholera outbreak compounding their suffering.

Food Shortages and Starvation

In el-Fasher, located in the western Darfur region, food scarcity has driven prices to unprecedented heights. Residents report that money which once sufficed for a week's meals now barely covers a day's worth. "Our children are dying before our eyes," a local woman told the BBC, highlighting the desperation faced by families. International aid organizations have condemned the use of starvation as a weapon of war, a tactic that has worsened the plight of civilians trapped in the city.

Cholera Outbreak and Health Crisis

The humanitarian situation is further exacerbated by a cholera outbreak sweeping through the camps of those displaced by the fighting. The RSF's intensified blockade, following their loss of control over Khartoum earlier this year, has restricted access to essential supplies, including medical aid. The UN has called for a humanitarian pause to facilitate the delivery of aid, but negotiations with the RSF have yet to yield results.

International Response and Appeals

The UN's Sudan envoy, Sheldon Yett, has reiterated demands for both warring sides to adhere to international law and allow aid convoys into besieged areas. While the Sudanese army has granted clearance for aid trucks, the RSF remains unresponsive. RSF advisers have suggested that safe routes for civilians to leave el-Fasher are being established, but these claims remain unverified.

A Broader Humanitarian Crisis

The conflict, which erupted in April 2023, has displaced millions and is considered one of the world's largest humanitarian crises. Reports of atrocities, such as the attack on the Zamzam refugee camp in North Darfur, underscore the severity of the situation. The Guardian's Mark Townsend has documented these events, revealing the scale of the violence and its impact on civilians.

WHAT THIS MIGHT MEAN

The ongoing siege of el-Fasher and the broader conflict in Sudan present significant challenges for international aid organizations and diplomatic efforts. Should the RSF continue to resist calls for a humanitarian pause, the situation could deteriorate further, leading to increased civilian casualties and displacement. Experts warn that without a concerted international response, the humanitarian crisis in Sudan may become even more severe. The international community's ability to broker a ceasefire and facilitate aid delivery will be crucial in alleviating the suffering of those caught in the conflict.